Friday, November 22, 2013

11/13/13

        Due to the fact that now I have basically went through the general process of growing the mushroom product they produce at Ecovative, my mentor told me that we would be moving on to a new project. This time, she gave me full rein. My next assignment/opportunity was to create my own experiment. She asked me what I would like to experiment on/about and that once I had a set topic, I would get to carry out the experiment, like how an actual scientist would him/herself. First, I started with a word bank of vague and broad ideas that I was interested in and that which would be feasible for me to carry through. After reading several papers that she printed out for me and researching on the web, I decided to base my very first project on the workings/effect of potassium on the growth of mushrooms and also on the inhibition of molds/bacteria of the growing strains. This topic, my mentor and I agreed, would give me various pathways to take even after performing the experiment. For instance, not only would I be able to do the actual experiment, but also I would be able to get to use the Dinoxcope program (program that allows one to use the microscope via the computer screen) to analyze and save my results later-on.
      Aside from deciding my project, just to practice and better my plating skills, my mentor left me all by-myself to 1) wipe down the hood, 2) get the materials 3) perform plating plates 4) clean the hood. In short, she basically left me to do my own things while she took care of her other projects. I felt so accomplished, content, and most importantly: independent by the end of my internship. I can't wait for the coming weeks when I get to actually start my project and see how it takes shape!

1 comment:

  1. You have come so far so soon, Christi! I am also impressed with your independence and scientific work. I am glad that you have the opportunity to develop such an authentic project. I am looking forward to what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete