Tuesday, February 5, 2013

01/30/13


        Today, not only was I finally able to attend my internship, but also I was able to partake in the lab process! I helped my mentor Yolanda prepare her test DNA tubes that we later inserted in the electrophoresis capillary machine. 

       In addition, today I was introduced to the pH meter: an electronic device used for measuring the pH of a liquid. This meter consisted of a glass electrode (a special measuring probe) connected to an electronic meter that measures and displays the pH level. The pH probe measures the concentration of Hydrogen ions in a given solution in moles per liter. (In other words, it measures how acidic or basic a solution is). Prior to using, Yolana informed me that I must always calibrate the meter and that after each measurement the probe must be rinsed with distilled water to remove any traces of the other solution measured. Calibration should be performed with at least two standard buffer solutions that include the range of pH values to be measured. The glass probe when in use, produces a small voltage that is then measured and shown as pH units by the instrument. (approximately 0.06 volts per pH unit). With this tool, I was given the task of finding and then labeling the pH levels of the 8 buffers that Yolanda had made just the day before.

       This Wednesday, I am going to further assist my mentor with her research. Because last week there was an unfortunate problem with the machinery, we weren't able to get the predicted results. Thus, I am hoping that this time, everything will go as planned.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are back in the lab, Christi!

    Learning how to use a pH probe is a very useful skill, as it is used in many types of labs.

    As always, try to add some context to your blog posts, so that we can understand how your weekly work fits into the broader aspect of your internship.

    Otherwise, keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete