Monday, April 21, 2014

04/09/14

I got to work with Katie today! :)

On April 09, both Katie and my mentors were occupied and so we had the pleasure of working for Sarah--who also works in the lab at Ecovative. Ironically, today was the day that both Katie and I were the busiest as Sarah had a whole list of things she needed completed. Thus, this wednesday we were given full rein--or in other words, we were basically given a list of tasks and left to complete it by our selves. Had this been the first month of my internship at Ecovative, I would have completely freaked out, but having worked here for a lengthy amount of time, to my great surprise and delight, I knew precisely what to do and where to find the needed equipment--without my mentor anywhere near me. It was as if I was one of the working staff at Ecovative, moving from one facility to the other. (ie: the Lab to the Dirty Room and so forth).

I began my internship with a simple yet big task. I poured about 85 agar plates as their stock of these plates were running low. Although this was a rather simple task, I knew I was being of great help, or rather, I would like to think I was of big help, as no one here actually seemed to have the time to pour plates as they were off at meetings, running experiments, writing up reports, and the sort. These were simple PGA plates (aka peptone glucose agar plates). These plates are widely used for general cultivation of a wide variety of microorganisms. Glucose Peptone Agar is a highly nutritious medium that is able to support the growth of many fastidious microorganisms.
These are all the plates I finished pouring!
Me in action! 
After this was completed, Katie and I teamed up and
went to work in the dirty room. We put together about 
12 bags of a certain substrate (maybe even more!) and
prepared it for inoculation in the pressure cookers.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment