Sunday, April 7, 2013

04/03/13

                During this recent Wednesday, I went to my internship and was tasked with making a new group of buffers that my mentor would use in her later capillary electrophoresis test-runs. This time, she had me mix up five different buffers using 5 different powdery (solid) components: 6-phosphoneohexanoic, 1.10 decyldiphosphonic, n-phosphonomethyl glycine, aa, and COO. Using a balance beam, I measured out precisely the indicated grams and afterwards, mixed each of the 5 separate beakers with the liquid mixture tris. After all this, I then put the beakers one by one on top of a hot-plate magnetic stirrer device in order to mix fully dissolve the powdery components into a liquid solute. This was my first time both seeing and using this particular device and thus I was greatly amazed. Although there is not much to the  instrument--the left knob controls the stirring rate and the right knob controls heating--I found it to be an extremely useful device that could be used in a variety of situations in the laboratory. First, I added a small magnetic stir bar in the mixing solution. Since glass doesn't affect a magnetic field and most chemical reactions take place in glassware (ie: beaker), magnetic stir bars work well in almost all circumstances. However, the downfall is that the limited size of the bars restricts the effect of the instrument to relatively small (ie: under 4 liters) experiments. For larger volumes, another sort of stirring device is needed. This said, I was asked to make buffers with a volume of 3 liters so the stirring bar proved extremely helpful to me. After I had done all this, my next step was to set all of the buffers to the pH value of 7 (given to me prior from Yolanda, my mentor) using the methods used during my last internship before spring break.

Today unlike my last time here, I found myself working hard until the very end, trying to accomplish everything that I had been assigned. Although that meant standing up for the entire 3 hours, I fully enjoyed yet another day in the lab. I was able to experience first-hand, like any typical scientist, truly how fast time passes by when fully engrossed with one's laboratory procedures. I have yet to actually see or put my prepared solutes/substances in the capillary electrophoresis machine, but I am hoping that within the next couple of weeks, the opportunity will come up.

Above is a short clip of the magnetic stirrer that I very much enjoyed using.

1 comment:

  1. Christi, you seem to be a solutions master! I am impressed that you mixed chemicals for three solid hours. You have developed an impressive endurance.

    Do you think that you will be able to observe electrophoresis in the future? Might be good to ask your mentor.

    ReplyDelete