Wednesday, March 13, 2013

03/06/13


Today, my mentor taught me how to denature a given sample. Of the steps that I had to do last week and the week before that, this process proved to be the easiest. First, I was told to add a certain measurement of a DNA sample and a certain amount of the formamide mixture. Formamide is a denaturing agent. In addition, my mentor instructed me to add a parcel of fluorescent dye—important for locating the DNA when run through by the electrophoresis capillary machine. (In my case, I added 2 microliters of DNA and dye and 16 microliters of formamide. After creating this mixture in one vial and wrapping it securely with film, I inserted it into water that was heated to a temperature of 95 degrees Celsius for approximately five minutes. While that was taking place, I went downstairs and got a beaker of ice, which would be needed to cool the heated sample. This last process would take 15 minutes in total.

Looking at the big picture, this fits in with the whole concept of capillary electrophoresis as only then will scientists be able to obtain the best accuracy and precision in sizing the results.


3 comments:

  1. You are getting closer to the actual process!

    Thank you for providing an interesting and informative review of denaturing. I learned a bit of biochemistry while reading.

    I appreciate your statement about the big picture of your project. It gives perfect context to your blog post. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is your blog post for 13 March?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christi, why are you still behind?!

    ReplyDelete