Sunday, December 16, 2012

December 12

I was not able to go to my internship as my mentor Yolanda went home for the holidays.
____

        Although I was not able to go to my internship on Wednesday, I decided to research more about the particular field of analytical science and about DNA separation, both in which my mentor (and thus I) is involved in.
        DNA isolation is an process that extracts DNA from other sources. There are different methods for doing this but what they all have in common is that they aim to separate DNA present in the nucleus of the cell from other cellular components. While researching online, I found that this process is crucial for genetic analysis, which is used for medical, scientific, or forensic purposes. In the field of medicine, this application is used for diagnostic purposes. To my fascination, I found that this process of DNA separation is important in the field of forensics as it allows investigators to recover DNA for identification of criminals, and the likes. While the area of my internship deals with the primary step of separating two DNA strands of similar length into separate pieces, I found it very fascinating to see how this type of research benefits the real world outside the long white coats and enclosed space called the laboratory.

reference: http://www.enotes.com/dna-isolation-methods-reference/dna-isolation-methods


1 comment:

  1. Great use of your time, Christi! I am impressed that you came up with this activity.

    Thanks for posting that you missed a week.

    ReplyDelete